Thursday, April 28, 2011

undivided


Lord, teach me how you want me to live. Then I will follow your truth.
Give me a heart that doesn't want anything more than to worship you.
Psalm 86:11

Signs of a divided heart- restlessness, boredom, anger, depression, anxiety, lack of joy and peace- are everywhere you look. God longs for our whole heart to be fixed upon him. For all that he has done for us, he so deserves all of our love and devotion.

Something I am terribly guilty of- trying to control my own life and clean up my own messes. My pride and sense of self so often get in the way of surrendering my heart and life to the one who formed me! He doesn't want us to wait until we "have it all-together" before we come to him. He wants us as we are- unraveling, joyful, discouraged, hopeful, doubting, angry. He pleads with his children,

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.
Matthew 11:28

The threads of my life most often seem to me like a messy knot, but these are the very threads that bind me to God. Rather than trying to get all the cords untangled, I just need to believe that God has the other end of the threads and, if I allow him to, is weaving something that will be for my good and His glory.


 What Does An Undivided Heart Look Like?

It will show itself in a single-minded character. This is a person whose main goal, main purpose, and main passion is God. That means we live to please the one we love in everything we do. It does not mean we won't mess this up at times, it just means that He is our main love and we pursue Him.

The Lord said of David,"this is a man after my own heart."(Acts 13:22) David!? Really!? Didn't he commit adultery and then have the woman's husband killed when she came up pregnant? Didn't he allow his son to go unpunished when he raped his sister? THIS is a man after God's own heart? Yeah, he is. Why?

Read what David says over and over in the Psalms. He grieves over his sins because he knows He has hurt the God who loves him. Even though he has sinned greatly, he still seeks after God, loves Him and wants to please Him.

That is an undivided heart. It still messes up- sometimes on a big scale- but it repents over how it has affected the relationship with the God who loves so fiercely. And this heart gets back on track.

(taken from  here)

No comments:

Post a Comment